MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:m i l e s Date:October 18 2005 5:00pm
Subject:LASSO TIPS for MYSQL: 3.2 IF I ONLY HAD A...
View as plain text
    - Hi and Welcome to -

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    LASSO TIPS FOR MYSQL: 3.2
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The FIRST LASSO TIPS FOR MYSQL
-> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=143312
The LAST LASSO TIPS FOR MYSQL
-> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=154176
10 LASSO RESOURCES
-> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=143018
THE LASSO RESOURCES ADDENDUM
-> http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=143417
OMNIPILOT RESOURCE LIST
-> http://www.omnipilot.com/Resources+for+Beginners.2225.lasso
    http://www.omnipilot.com/Tip+of+the+Week.1768.lasso
    http://www.omnipilot.com/Hosting+Providers.1744.lasso
    http://www.omnipilot.com/Frequently+Asked+Questions.1791.lasso

Secondly, My apologies for not getting this out on time
yesterday...my servers suffered an outage...so consequently my
collective hair has been in piles on the floor folks!  And when your
servers goo POOOOF on a saturday night when you're deep in the middle
of an email 'discourse' of questionable nature, that's probably a
good sign to stop!  I digress.  However all is well and my servers
are back online.  And soon to get a major upgrade.  I'll be in
MASSACHUSETTS the week of NOV 1st - 7th (2005). Ive got a number of
clients and appointments but if anyone wants to get together for a
lil chat/wrap/coding session ping me.

Thirdly, Many people have asked me to write a book, I'll tell you
straight up, Im not in the market to write a book, that's Duncan
Cameron's area, not mine.  However, if you're in the market for a
tiny lil PDF with a few tips that haven't been published here and
there and something with a few more examples, methodologies and
practices, please by all means let me see a show of hands (digitally
speaking).  Perhaps I'll have something ready by summit time.  Just
in time for my class on Lasso for Newbies.  http://
www.lassosummit.com/ Feb 17 - 19th, 2006!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            TODAYS TIP:
  IF IF IF IF IF IF IF ONLY...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I could while away the hours.  Conferrin' with the flowers,
Consultin' with the rain.  And my head, I'd be scratchin', While my
thoughts were busy hatchin', If I only had a brain." - From "IF I
only had a brain" - Wizard of OZ, circa 1933.

While I'd love to sit here and yap about the scarecrow, the tin man
or the cowardly lion, and that fine hottie Dorothy, somehow or
another I think your head you'd be scratchin' while your thoughts
were busy hatchin', "Has the boy gone crazzah!????!" Well no I
haven't gone crazy but I am on to somethin' here.  The IF
proposition.  The conditional.  You don't think about it until you
actually need it, and then you begin to wonder well how the hell do I
use it ?  More over WHY and WHERE do you use it ?  Hence this week's
lil foray into the seemingly mundane...the ALMIGHTY, ALL PURPOSE,
'IF' CONDITIONAL!

PART ONE: THE IF ANDS & BUTS of IT ALL.

     The vaunted IF.  What is it and why do you use it ?  In short
simple language, the IF is a method to branch your logic into a
situation to cover a particular scenario or likelihood that a user
may experience while using your application.  To use the word, to
define the word is a bad habit and doens't really help but in this
case, I think it does: "what if..."  That's the premise of the
conditional IF statement, what if this or that happens.  With Lasso
there are several different kinds of conditional statements, the IF
is only one of them, however it is the most ubiquitous.  For the
purposes of this article we're focusing solely on the IF statement.
Why ?  Because as you'll see, in its simplicity it is not only
exceptionally powerful, and useful but its come a long way in what
can be done with it....so without further adieu, may I introduce to
you the star of today's game, (a drum roll please....) the IF statement!

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        TO SEE THE REST OF THIS LASSO TIP
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      THE CURRENT LASSO TIP for MYSQL:

      http://www.listsearch.com/lassotalk.lasso?id=154555

      THE LAST 5 LASSO TIPS for MYSQL:

      LTƒM 3.1: Three Lil Toys ->> http://www.listsearch.com/
lassotalk.lasso?id=154176
      LTƒM 3.0: The Lasso App ->> http://www.listsearch.com/
lassotalk.lasso?id=153881
      LTƒM 2.9: The Login Routine ->> http://www.listsearch.com/
lassotalk.lasso?id=153613
      LTƒM 2.8: SQL and Lasso (pt2) ->>  http://www.listsearch.com/
lassotalk.lasso?id=149158
      LTƒM 2.7: SQL and Lasso (pt1) ->>  http://www.listsearch.com/
lassotalk.lasso?id=148892

Thread
LASSO TIPS for MYSQL: 3.2 IF I ONLY HAD A...m i l e s18 Oct