MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jason Pyeron Date:August 16 2005 9:53pm
Subject:Re: [sorta off topic] Re: rcs udf for MySQL
View as plain text
On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 SGreen@stripped wrote:

> Now... don't be so hasty. MS SQL has a form of RCS you can use to check in
> and check out stored procedures and other design elements using Visual
> Source Safe (VSS). VSS acutally uses extended stored procedures (the
> mutant cousins of UDFs) to perform the locking and unlocking of various
> database elements. I think this might count as one version of a
> database-based RCS (even though I think the deltas are stored elsewhere as
> text).

I was looking for "RCS", I am looking to retool our CVS repository.

> The metadata headers you describe should be easily convertable to database
> fields and the actual delta data could either be stored in a blob (one
> blob per set of changes) or separately listed in their own table (one set
> of delta rows per set of changes).

Started on this a few hours ago. Paused to look at Subversion, they use
Berkley DB.

> Doing an RCS with a database is not complex to design but implementaion
> may be slower than you like just due to the overhead of running a SQL
> query (or mulitple queries) vs. the speed of directly parsing local text
> files.

It would be a lot faster, since you could do the delta row set collation
faster, if stored properly. See page 8 (section 3.2) of "RCS A System for
Version Control" by Walter F. Tichy 1991.

> A future optimization may be for you to use the HANDLER interface with
> MyISAM tables in order to quickly retrieve your "delta blobs". Just
> something to think about.

Using Innodb, for transactions.

-jason

-                                                               -
- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Partner & Sr. Manager             7 West 24th Street #100     -
- +1 (443) 921-0381                 Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -
-                                                               -

privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you
have received it in error, purge the message from your system and
notify the sender immediately.  Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.
Thread
rcs udf for MySQLJason Pyeron16 Aug
  • Re: rcs udf for MySQLSGreen16 Aug
    • Re: rcs udf for MySQLJason Pyeron16 Aug
      • Re: rcs udf for MySQLSGreen16 Aug
        • [sorta off topic] Re: rcs udf for MySQLJason Pyeron16 Aug
          • Re: [sorta off topic] Re: rcs udf for MySQLSGreen16 Aug
            • Re: [sorta off topic] Re: rcs udf for MySQLJason Pyeron16 Aug