MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kristen G. Thorson Date:February 17 2005 5:28pm
Subject:Re: Mysql running as root
View as plain text
The line:

>MySQL 4.0.18 running on localhost as root@localhost

refers to the hostname and user you log into *mysql* with.  It does not tell you what user
mysql is running under on the OS.  The user and hostname that phpMyAdmin logs in under are
changed in the phpMyAdmin config.inc.php file.

Kristen

Russ wrote:

>On Wednesday 16 February 2005 08:48 pm, Gleb Paharenko wrote:
>

>>Hello.
>>
>>Please tell us, in what way do you launch your MySQL server.
>>Send your configuration file.
>>

>>>sql running as root. When I log on as root and look at the users, I do
>>>not see a mysql user. Do I need to create this user and what permissions
>>>does it
>>>

>>Log on into the server and use 'ps aux' command to check under what user
>>account mysqld running is. Look into /etc/passwd file to check that mysql
>>user is present on your system.
>>

>>>the host database,etc. can these be copied to my new Linux enviroment or
>>>is it best to rebuild everything?
>>>

>>I think you should, dump your data from the live windows server with the
>>mysqldump program (if you don't have such, setup it and copy tables to its
>>data directory). And then, import your data from the dump file into the new
>>Linux server.
>>
>>Russ <russbucket@stripped> wrote:
>>

>>>I have two questions:
>>>1) I'm still having trouble getting mysql to run as user mysql. All the
>>>file and folders have been changed to be owned by user mysql but phpadmin
>>>shows my sql running as root. When I log on as root and look at the
>>>users, I do not see a mysql user. Do I need to create this user and what
>>>permissions does it need? How can the files and folders be owned by a
>>>user if they do not exist?
>>>
>>>2) When my windows environment died I was unable to dump mysql. I was
>>>able to recover the Data files for both tables I had (.myd, .myi and
>>>.frm) Also for the host database,etc. can these be copied to my new Linux
>>>enviroment or is it best to rebuild everything?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help!!
>>>

>>--
>>For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/?ref=ensita
>>  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Gleb Paharenko
>> / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   Gleb.Paharenko@stripped
>>/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/   MySQL AB / Ensita.NET
>>       <___/   www.mysql.com
>>

>I am using SuSE 9.1 Pro. I started mysql in the runlevel editor of YaST. It
>start when I boot the system.
>
>below are the results of the two items you asked me to look at:
>
>ps aux
>mysql     5471  0.0  0.4 21584 2400 ?        S    07:38
>0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld
>
>/etc/passwd
>mysql:x:60:2:MySQL database admin:/var/lib/mysql:/bin/false
>
>This is what I see in phpMyAdmin.
>
>Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.5.6
>
>MySQL 4.0.18 running on localhost as root@localhost
>
>thanks again for your help.

Thread
Mysql running as rootRuss16 Feb
  • Re: Mysql running as rootJoerg Bruehe17 Feb
  • Re: Mysql running as rootGleb Paharenko17 Feb
    • Re: Mysql running as rootRuss17 Feb
    • Re: Mysql running as rootRuss17 Feb
      • Re: Mysql running as rootKristen G. Thorson17 Feb
      • Re: Mysql running as rootJoerg Bruehe17 Feb