MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hal Vaughan Date:February 17 2005 5:12pm
Subject:Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same Computer
View as plain text
On Thursday 17 February 2005 11:48 am, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > mysqld --port=3307 --datadir=/dbtest/mysql
> > mysqld --port=3306 --datadir=/var/lib/mysql
> > mysql --port=3307
> > mysql --port=3306
> >
> > When I do this, then do a "show databases;" in either new instance of
> > mysql (both are open at the same time, in separate consoles), I get the
> > databases in the last version of mysqld that I specified.
>
> Aha. Light bulb :-)
>
> >>My preference to do this is to create a complete new config file,
> >>say /etc/alt.cnf, and use that to configure the second process.
> >>That way you can be relatively sure there aren't any overlapping
> >>resources.
> >
> > I'll try that, in case config options can trump a command line.
>
> They don't, but it's what you're *not* specifying here -- the two
> processes are sharing the default "/tmp/mysql.sock" socket, I'll
> wager. So the last daemon started is listening on it...

Bingo!  I tried adding "--socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld6.sock" for the process
running with port 3306 and "mysqld7.sock" for the process running on port
3307.  It works perfectly!

Thanks!  This will really help me out in getting rid of some extra boxen that
are too slow and need to be retired to the parent's e-mail computers.  Making
the change for the one routine in my Perl modules that creates the connection
to the database is trivial, too.

Thanks to all who have helped with this.

Hal

> I think you'll find creating two config files will make it a *lot*
> easier to get this going  :-)
>
> FWIW!
> --
> Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan@stripped
> Webtuitive Design ===  (+1) 408-938-0567   === http://webtuitive.com
>
>                            dream.  code.
Thread
Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
  • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
    • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHassan Schroeder17 Feb
      • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
        • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHassan Schroeder17 Feb
          • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
            • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHassan Schroeder17 Feb
              • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
        • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerKristen G. Thorson17 Feb
RE: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerSST - Adelaide)17 Feb