MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Russ Date:February 17 2005 5:05pm
Subject:Re: Mysql running as root
View as plain text
On Wednesday 16 February 2005 08:48 pm, Gleb Paharenko wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Please tell us, in what way do you launch your MySQL server.
> Send your configuration file.
>
> > sql running as root. When I log on as root and look at the users, I do
> > not see a mysql user. Do I need to create this user and what permissions
> > does it
>
> Log on into the server and use 'ps aux' command to check under what user
> account mysqld running is. Look into /etc/passwd file to check that mysql
> user is present on your system.
>
> > the host database,etc. can these be copied to my new Linux enviroment or
> > is it best to rebuild everything?
>
> I think you should, dump your data from the live windows server with the
> mysqldump program (if you don't have such, setup it and copy tables to its
> data directory). And then, import your data from the dump file into the new
> Linux server.
>
> Russ <russbucket@stripped> wrote:
> > I have two questions:
> > 1) I'm still having trouble getting mysql to run as user mysql. All the
> > file and folders have been changed to be owned by user mysql but phpadmin
> > shows my sql running as root. When I log on as root and look at the
> > users, I do not see a mysql user. Do I need to create this user and what
> > permissions does it need? How can the files and folders be owned by a
> > user if they do not exist?
> >
> > 2) When my windows environment died I was unable to dump mysql. I was
> > able to recover the Data files for both tables I had (.myd, .myi and
> > .frm) Also for the host database,etc. can these be copied to my new Linux
> > enviroment or is it best to rebuild everything?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help!!
>
> --
> For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/?ref=ensita
>   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Gleb Paharenko
>  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   Gleb.Paharenko@stripped
> /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/   MySQL AB / Ensita.NET
>        <___/   www.mysql.com

I am using SuSE 9.1 Pro. I started mysql in the runlevel editor of YaST. It
start when I boot the system.

below are the results of the two items you asked me to look at:

ps aux
mysql     5471  0.0  0.4 21584 2400 ?        S
   07:38
0:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld

/etc/passwd
mysql:x:60:2:MySQL database admin:/var/lib/mysql:/bin/false

This is what I see in phpMyAdmin.

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.5.6

MySQL 4.0.18 running on localhost as root@localhost

thanks again for your help.