List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hal Vaughan Date:February 17 2005 1:52am
Subject:Using Different Database Groups On the Same Computer
View as plain text
I'm not quite sure what search terms to use, otherwise I'm sure I could find
this on Google.

I have a working install of MySQL on an older computer, running the current
version of my program.  I am about to start developing a newer version of my
program on a new computer.  I'd like to have both versions (current and new)
on the same computer, however, that will cause a LOT of problems in
interference between the current and development versions of my program.

Is there any way to separate these, so I can run mysql one way to access the
databases for the current version, and run it another way to access the newer
databases for the development version (and yes, many databases in the
development version will have the same name as those in the current version).

For example, if I ran a command "mysql", I'd get these tables:

CaseData
Clients
GeneralSetup

And if I ran an alias, like, say, "new-mysql", I'd get these tables:

CaseData  (same name, different table)
Clients  (same name, different table)
GeneralSetup  (same name, different table)
DataFilters

I am running MySQL on Linux, if that makes a difference.

Hal
Thread
Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
  • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
    • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHassan Schroeder17 Feb
      • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
        • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHassan Schroeder17 Feb
          • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
            • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHassan Schroeder17 Feb
              • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerHal Vaughan17 Feb
        • Re: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerKristen G. Thorson17 Feb
RE: Using Different Database Groups On the Same ComputerSST - Adelaide)17 Feb