MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jigal van Hemert Date:October 20 2004 3:10pm
Subject:Re: Commercial Licensing Question
View as plain text
From: "mos" <mos99@stripped>
Mike,

> >but the current license seems require a
> >commercial license only if you distribute MySQL with your commercial
> >product.
> I'm sorry, but I believe your statement is incorrect. If you distribute an
> application (outside of the GPL) that requires MySQL to run (whether you
> distribute the MySQL engine or not), then the person receiving the
> application needs a commercial MySQL license. It doesn't matter if it is a
> commercial application or a free application, or an application you are
> distributing worldwide or even within your own organization,  or if you
are
> distributing MySQL engine with your application or not. If your
application
> requires MySQL to run, and you distribute that application outside of the
> GPL, then you need a MySQL license.
>
> Here it is directly from MySQL.Com
> http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/

Hmm.. this page seems to be quite new. I was referring to the old policy and
the discussions on this list about it.
You can find the previous text at
http://web.archive.org/web/20030605155911/www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html

A few quotes:
"2. Free use for those who never copy, modify or distribute
As long as you never distribute (internally or externally) the MySQL
Software in any way, you are free to use it for powering your application,
irrespective of whether your application is under GPL or other OSI approved
license or not."

When do you need a commercial license?
"More specifically:
a) If you include the MySQL server in your non Open Source application, you
need a commercial licence for the MySQL server
b) If you include one of the MySQL drivers in your non Open Source
application (so that your application can run with MySQL), you need a
commercial licence for the driver(s) in question. The MySQL drivers
currently include an ODBC driver, a JDBC driver and the C language library."

This seems to be a completely different story !?!?

It seems that the license policy has become a lot more strict. It still is
rather unclear to me what happens if you make an application which does not
directly use MySQL or its drivers, but uses a high level language which
includes these drivers? PHP has been given a (free) license for the
inclusion of a MySQL client in the software; does one need a MySQL license
for distributing or using PHP scripts which access a MySQL database?

Regards, Jigal.

Thread
Commercial Licensing QuestionSujith Manuel20 Oct
  • RE: Commercial Licensing QuestionGraham Cossey20 Oct
  • Re: Commercial Licensing QuestionJigal van Hemert20 Oct
    • Re: Commercial Licensing Questionmos20 Oct
      • Re[2]: Commercial Licensing QuestionDebugasRu20 Oct
  • Re: Commercial Licensing QuestionJigal van Hemert20 Oct
  • Re: Commercial Licensing QuestionEgor Egorov22 Oct