MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zak Greant Date:August 5 2004 12:36am
Subject:Re: using mysql in commercial software
View as plain text
Greetings All,

I walked through the mailing list thread earlier today. The big issues
that I believe that people raised were:

  * Incorrect information on distribution as it applies to the GPL in
our licensing documents
  * Lack of clarity from MySQL on what is and not acceptable use of
GPL-licensed MySQL
  * Lack of concrete examples of suitable/unsuitable use of GPL-licensed
MySQL

I opened up a new ticket at
http://zak.greant.com:8888/licensing/tktview?tn=40 to cover the last
two of issues. The ticket is rather terse, but I think that we all
understand the issues.

The existing ticket http://zak.greant.com:8888/licensing/tktview?tn=32
seems to cover the first issue.

Also, I have started discussing these issues with the other MySQLers
and hope to have something useful to report soon.

I understand that this is not optimal because it does not involve all
of the people who have a stake in the licensing. Frankly licensing is a
tough issue for us - it is the base of our revenue and it affects many
people within and without the company. Additionally, it is a legal
issue - something that makes many people, including us, very cautious.

Please continue to provide feedback on this area using any channel that
you feel comfortable using. I admit that I prefer knowing about
feedback on MySQL, so a courtesy Cc to me at zak@stripped and/or to
our community list (community@stripped) and/or an open ticket in
the licensing issue tracking system (http://licensing.zak.greant.com)
are all greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
--zak

Thread
using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand26 Jul
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaregerald_clark26 Jul
    • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareLaercio Xisto Braga Cavalcanti26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSGreen26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
        • RE: using mysql in commercial softwaremos27 Jul
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaremos2 Aug
              • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley3 Aug
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
          • Re[2]: using mysql in commercial softwareDebugasRu3 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareMarc Slemko2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant4 Aug
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant5 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant6 Aug