MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul John Date:August 3 2004 11:10pm
Subject:Re: InnoDB TableSpace Question
View as plain text
Actually, Oracle can shrink or grow datafiles:

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE '/usr01/oracle/sid/data001' resize 200M;

On Aug 3, 2004, at 15:59, David Griffiths wrote:

> Oracle cannot shrink datafiles (same idea as InnoDB datafiles) when
> data is deleted either.
>
> David
>
> Marc Slemko wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:42:03 -0400 , David Seltzer
>> <dseltzer@stripped> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Marc,
>>>
>>> Is there really no way to reclaim unused space in an InnoDB table
>>> space? If
>>> not, why is this not considered a tremendous limitation?
>>>

>> Some do consider it a tremendous limitation.  It all depends on how it
>> is being used.
>>
>> Oh, and one thing I forgot... in newer 4.1 versions, if you set things
>> up so each table has its own file with "innodb_file_per_table", then I
>> think if you do an optimize table it will end up shrinking the file
>> for that table since it will recreate it.  However that really is just
>> a workaround, and there are a lot of disadvantages to that method ...
>> especially the fact that free space is now per table instead of per
>> tablespace.

InnoDB TableSpace QuestionDavid Seltzer3 Aug
  • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionMarc Slemko3 Aug
RE: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionDavid Seltzer3 Aug
  • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionMarc Slemko3 Aug
    • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionDavid Griffiths3 Aug
      • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionPaul John4 Aug
      • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionBrad Eacker4 Aug
  • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionMarc Slemko3 Aug
  • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionMarc Slemko3 Aug
  • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionMarc Slemko3 Aug
  • RE: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionSGreen3 Aug
    • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionJeff Mathis3 Aug
      • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionWilliam R. Mussatto3 Aug
    • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionJeremy Zawodny3 Aug
    • Re: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionHarald Fuchs4 Aug
RE: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionDavid Seltzer3 Aug
RE: InnoDB TableSpace QuestionAntonio Delgado Frias4 Aug