MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:August 2 2004 8:11pm
Subject:Re: using mysql in commercial software
View as plain text
At 03:41 AM 8/2/2004, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 11:49:02PM -0500, mos wrote:
> > At 04:43 PM 7/26/2004, you wrote:
> >
> > >looks like the answer is no.  As soon as fee based software touches the
> > >mysql install on the PC, the user is obligated to pay the $250.
> >
> > Actually I believe the MySQL 4.x license is more stringent than that. If
> > the MySQL database is distributed within a company for free, then a
> license
> > is still required, unless the application is distributed under the
> > GPL.
>
>Huh?
>
>I bet it depends on the country.  In the USA, companies are considered
>singular legal entities.  "Internal distribution" is aking to giving
>copies to yourself.
>
>The GPL doesn't restrict that.

Well, I'm not so sure. Here it is straight from the horses mouth namely
licensing@stripped

  "Free use for those who never copy,
modify or distribute. As long as you never distribute (internally or
externally) the MySQL Software in any way, you are free to use it for
powering your application, irrespective of whether your application is under
GPL license or not,"
http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/opensource-license.html.

Changes in our licensing began in version 3.23.19  Changed copyright for all
files to GPL.  Prior versions can/could use the client libraries under the
LGPL license. <<

You notice they say "never distribute (internally or externally) the MySQL
software in any way..".  I don't know if the "MySQL Software" they are
referring to are the MySQL libraries  libmysql.dll or libmysqld.dll files
which is needed to run most MySQL applications, or any file that comes from
MySQL AB.  I agree with you that it is rather stringent to prevent internal
distribution of a MySQL application within a company, and I see no logical
reason for preventing it. As I read it, the language they're using prevents
the finance department from receiving a copy of the database and
application from the sales department. But I'm not a lawyer, and I don't
play one on TV, so if you want further clarification, contact
licensing@stripped.

Mike

Thread
using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand26 Jul
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaregerald_clark26 Jul
    • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareLaercio Xisto Braga Cavalcanti26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSGreen26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
        • RE: using mysql in commercial softwaremos27 Jul
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaremos2 Aug
              • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley3 Aug
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
          • Re[2]: using mysql in commercial softwareDebugasRu3 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareMarc Slemko2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant4 Aug
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant5 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant6 Aug