MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Marc Slemko Date:August 2 2004 4:24pm
Subject:Re: using mysql in commercial software
View as plain text
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 01:35:44 -0700, Jeremy Zawodny <jeremy@stripped> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 01:26:15PM -0500, gerald_clark wrote:
> >
> > Steve Richter wrote:
> >
> > >exactly!  Is Linux distributed under the same type of license as MySql?  If
> > >I sell software that runs on linux I dont have to give away my code, right?
> > >To use my software you first have to install no charge Linux and MySql.
> Why
> > >would that not be permitted?
> >
> > Because the MySQL license does not allow you to use it free with
> > commercial software that requires MySQL.  If you are running
> > commercial software that requires MySQL you must buy a license.
>
> And this is where the confusion start.  MySQL is covered by the GPL.
> So is Linux.

As far as the server goes, sure.

However there is a key difference in that APIs such as glibc on Linux
are licensed under the LGPL.  The mysql client libraries used to be
the same way, then they changed them to be under the GPL.  This means
that, according to the most common interpretation of the GPL, just
linking with them automatically requires your code be under the GPL.
Does this still apply to, say, Java code where you are using the
standard JDBC interface?  How about if you use mysql specific SQL
calls?  I would suggest perhaps not, but it isn't a simple question.

So, for example, you could not sell an application under terms not
compatible with the GPL and include the mysql client drivers.  Even
selling an application that is linked against them, but requires the
user to get them themselves, is arguably not permitted.  You can go
read the FSF's FAQ for their interpretation, but that is just their
interpretation.

However, remember the GPL only covers copying, distribution, and
modification.  Not use.

Also note that MySQL AB allows an exception designed for the client
libraries to be more compatible with other open source licenses:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/MySQL_FOSS_License_Exception.html

I believe that MySQL AB is deliberately vague and confusing on their
licensing page to try to get people to buy mysql licenses.  All their
words there don't matter though, what matters is the actual license.
It would, however, be nice if their commentary were a bit closer to
the reality of what the GPL means.
Thread
using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand26 Jul
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaregerald_clark26 Jul
    • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareLaercio Xisto Braga Cavalcanti26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSGreen26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
        • RE: using mysql in commercial softwaremos27 Jul
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaremos2 Aug
              • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley3 Aug
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
          • Re[2]: using mysql in commercial softwareDebugasRu3 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareMarc Slemko2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant4 Aug
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant5 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant6 Aug