MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy Zawodny Date:August 2 2004 8:41am
Subject:Re: using mysql in commercial software
View as plain text
On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 11:49:02PM -0500, mos wrote:
> At 04:43 PM 7/26/2004, you wrote:
>
> >looks like the answer is no.  As soon as fee based software touches the
> >mysql install on the PC, the user is obligated to pay the $250.
>
> Actually I believe the MySQL 4.x license is more stringent than that. If
> the MySQL database is distributed within a company for free, then a license
> is still required, unless the application is distributed under the
> GPL.

Huh?

I bet it depends on the country.  In the USA, companies are considered
singular legal entities.  "Internal distribution" is aking to giving
copies to yourself.

The GPL doesn't restrict that.

> Wouldn't it be nice if MySQL created a nice little table with a
> couple of columns "License" and "No License" and a bunch of examples
> down the left hand side?

Yes, it would de-mystify a lot of this.

Jeremy
<Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

[book] High Performance MySQL -- http://highperformancemysql.com/
Thread
using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand26 Jul
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaregerald_clark26 Jul
    • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareLaercio Xisto Braga Cavalcanti26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSGreen26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
        • RE: using mysql in commercial softwaremos27 Jul
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaremos2 Aug
              • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley3 Aug
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
          • Re[2]: using mysql in commercial softwareDebugasRu3 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareMarc Slemko2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant4 Aug
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant5 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant6 Aug