MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:gerald_clark Date:July 27 2004 9:04pm
Subject:Re: Confusion about various users, starting over from scratch
View as plain text

Whil Hentzen wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Just installed MySQL 4 on my Fedora Core 2 box (that didn't have any mysql on
>it initially.) Three questions.
>
>I'm reading through the doc (gasp!) on the mysql.com site, specifically, 2.4
>Unix Post Installation Procedures:
>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Unix_post-installation.html
>
>The first sentence in the last paragraph before the numbered steps says:
>
>"In the examples shown here, the server runs under the user ID of the mysql
>login account."
>
>1. I'm confused what the 'mysql login account' is. Does this mean the user who
>has logged into the Linux box, or is this a mysql-specific user (a user
>account that is in the mysql databases.)
>
>If it's a separate (new) user on the Linux box, where in the doc does it say
>to set this guy up before running the post-install stuff?
>
>2. I've read several books and they all have different routes to getting the
>same thing done. I was working off of a book that used an older version
>(3.2.x) and followed its instructions (using tar xfz), and messed up the
>installation.
>
>To remove all traces of mysql to start over, can I just delete everything in
>the /usr/local/mysql directory as noted in 2.1.5 Installation Layouts on the
>mysql.com doc? Is there anything else I have to do?
>
>3. After installation, I ran the mysql_install_db as root, but without a
>--user-mysql parm. I do not understand the difference between running
>mysql_install_db
>  and
>mysql_install_db --user=mysql

The difference is who owns the files when the program is finished.
Mysql should run as linux user 'mysql'.
The data directory and all its contents should be owned by  mysql.

>Thanks!

Thread
Confusion about various users, starting over from scratchWhil Hentzen27 Jul
  • Re: Confusion about various users, starting over from scratchgerald_clark27 Jul
  • Re: Confusion about various users, starting over from scratchPaul DuBois28 Jul
    • Re: Confusion about various users, starting over from scratchWhil Hentzen30 Jul
Re: Confusion about various users, starting over from scratchPaul DuBois30 Jul
  • Re: Confusion about various users, starting over from scratchWhil Hentzen30 Jul