MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:July 27 2004 7:57pm
Subject:Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client output
View as plain text
First, I should point out that I've never used mysql on Windows.

The manual makes no mention that I can see of system not being supported on
the Windows mysql client.  On the other hand, Windows is so different that I
wouldn't be surprised if system is not supported.  A simple test would be to
start the Windows mysql client and then enter 'help' to get the list of
supported commands and see if 'system' is in the list.  If system is
supported, then it will still only work if Windows recognizes the command
you send it, so 'echo' would have to be valid in Windows.

In any case, system is to be avoided if you want portability, as it depends
on the underlying OS.  For portability, I'd stick with the "SELECT 'text..'
AS COMMENT;" syntax, unless someone suggests something better.

Michael

Richard Mixon (qwest) wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Great idea, I can get it to work on SuSE Linux (SLES8 for AMD64) just
> fine:
>   mysql> SYSTEM echo "Some comments" ;
>   Some comments
>
> But on Windows XP (where my user is running that needs this function):
>   mysql> SYSTEM echo Some comments ;
>   --------------
>   SYSTEM echo Some comments
>   --------------
>
>   ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual
> that corresp
>   onds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
> 'SYSTEM echo
>   Some comments' at line 1
>   mysql> SYSTEM "echo Some comments ";
>   --------------
>   SYSTEM "echo Some comments "
>   --------------
>
>   ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual
> that corresp
>   onds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near
> 'SYSTEM "echo
>    Some comments "' at line 1
>   mysql>
>
> Is the SYSTEM command not supported on Windows? I have been unable to
> find it documented in the MySQl manual for 4.0.18.
>
> Thanks for your help - Richard

Thread
How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)26 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputHarald Fuchs27 Jul
    • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPKeane27 Jul
        • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
        • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
          • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
            • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
              • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPaul DuBois28 Jul
                • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen28 Jul
                  • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)28 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMarkus Grossrieder27 Jul