MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:July 27 2004 4:09pm
Subject:Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client output
View as plain text
One more thought: Your mention of echo jogged my memory.  You can use SYSTEM
to pass what follows to the system and display the result.  So,

   SYSTEM echo "## The following output should only contain two rows.";

results in

   ## The following output should only contain two rows.

assuming echo is a command which makes sense to your system.

Michael

Michael Stassen wrote:

> Richard Mixon (qwest) wrote:
>
>> Harald Fuchs wrote:

>>> I guess he's talking about the column headers produced by the "mysql"
>>> client program.  These can be suppressed by using "mysql -N".
>>

>> Michael/Harald,
>>
>> Thanks for the tip. But:
>>
>> 1) Yes, I am just issuing: SELECT "First comment ...";
>> and
>> 2) The problem is that instead of getting a single line of text (i.e. my
>> "annotation/comment"), I get many, for example the command "select
>> "COMMENT 3";" produces the following (even using the -N flag when I
>> startup mySQL):
>>   --------------
>>   SELECT "COMMENT 3"
>>   --------------
>>
>>   +-----------+
>>   | COMMENT 3 |
>>   +-----------+
>>   1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>> The problem with "-N" is that is suppresses all of the headers. What I
>> really need is an "echo" or "print" command.
>>
>> The idea is to guide the reader of the mysql client output with some
>> comments. The SQL might look like the following:
>>   SELECT "The following output should only contain two rows for status
>> ...";
>>   SELECT status,count(*) FROM PoClass GROUP BY status;
>>   SELECT "The following output should only contain three rows for status
>> ...";
>>   SELECT status,count(*) FROM PoClassMeasurement GROUP BY status;
>>
>> Thank you - Richard
>

> Well, it's not exactly what you want, but you could use an alias to give
> each comment a standard header:
>
>   SELECT 'The following output should only contain two rows for status.'
>   AS COMMENT;

> | COMMENT                                                       |
> | The following output should only contain two rows for status. |
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> You still get some extra lines, but perhaps that looks a little better.
> You could also change the alias according to the type of comment:
>
>   SELECT 'The following output *must* contain only two rows!'
>   AS `WARNING!`;
>
> +----------------------------------------------------+
> | WARNING!                                           |
> +----------------------------------------------------+
> | The following output *must* contain only two rows! |
> +----------------------------------------------------+
> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> Michael

Thread
How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)26 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputHarald Fuchs27 Jul
    • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPKeane27 Jul
        • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
        • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
          • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
            • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
              • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPaul DuBois28 Jul
                • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen28 Jul
                  • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)28 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMarkus Grossrieder27 Jul