MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:PKeane Date:July 27 2004 3:25pm
Subject:RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client output
View as plain text
Hi Richard,

not exactly sure what you want but try using \G at the end of the select
statements.
Also try using UNION.
e.g.
select "Put your comment here","" UNION select field1, field2 from table1
group by field 1 \G

 You may get something that will work for you by messing with these
options combined with suppressing headers?

Peter Keane
Trocaire
Maynooth
Ireland

"Richard Mixon \(qwest\)" <rnmixon@stripped> wrote on 27/07/2004
15:36:45:

> Harald Fuchs wrote:
> > In article <4105E556.5010305@stripped>,
> > Michael Stassen <Michael.Stassen@stripped> writes:

> >>    SELECT "First comment ...";
> >
> >> will give exactly the output you show, but
> >
> >>    SELECT "First comment ..." FROM sometable;
> >
> >> will return that string once for each row of the table.  Is that what
> >> you're doing?
> >
> > I guess he's talking about the column headers produced by the "mysql"
> > client program.  These can be suppressed by using "mysql -N".
>
> Michael/Harald,
>
> Thanks for the tip. But:
>
> 1) Yes, I am just issuing: SELECT "First comment ...";
> and
> 2) The problem is that instead of getting a single line of text (i.e. my
> "annotation/comment"), I get many, for example the command "select
> "COMMENT 3";" produces the following (even using the -N flag when I
> startup mySQL):
>   --------------
>   SELECT "COMMENT 3"
>   --------------
>
>   +-----------+
>   | COMMENT 3 |
>   +-----------+
>   1 row in set (0.00 sec)
> The problem with "-N" is that is suppresses all of the headers. What I
> really need is an "echo" or "print" command.
>
> The idea is to guide the reader of the mysql client output with some
> comments. The SQL might look like the following:
>   SELECT "The following output should only contain two rows for status
> ...";
>   SELECT status,count(*) FROM PoClass GROUP BY status;
>   SELECT "The following output should only contain three rows for status
> ...";
>   SELECT status,count(*) FROM PoClassMeasurement GROUP BY status;
>
> Thank you - Richard

How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)26 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputHarald Fuchs27 Jul
    • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPKeane27 Jul
        • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
        • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
          • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
            • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
              • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPaul DuBois28 Jul
                • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen28 Jul
                  • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)28 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMarkus Grossrieder27 Jul