MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Harald Fuchs Date:July 27 2004 9:39am
Subject:Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client output
View as plain text
In article <4105E556.5010305@stripped>,
Michael Stassen <Michael.Stassen@stripped> writes:

> Richard Mixon (qwest) wrote:

>> I run some mysql command files (just SQL statements in a file I read
>> from standard input) and need to place some annotiations/comments in the
>> output.
>> If I place standard SQL comments ("-- comment text") or MySQL
>> comments
>> ("# comment text") they do not show up in the mysql client output. Well,
>> in a way that makes sense - they are "comments".
>> I have tried using "select ' comment text' ;" and that works, but I
>> get
>> many, many lines instead of my one simple annotation - e.g.:
>> --------------
>> select "First comment ..."
>> --------------
>> +-------------------+
>> | First comment ... |
>> +-------------------+
>> | First comment ... |
>> +-------------------+
>> 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>> Any/all ideas are appreciated - Richard
>>

>    SELECT "First comment ...";

> will give exactly the output you show, but

>    SELECT "First comment ..." FROM sometable;

> will return that string once for each row of the table.  Is that what
> you're doing?

I guess he's talking about the column headers produced by the "mysql"
client program.  These can be suppressed by using "mysql -N".

Thread
How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)26 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputHarald Fuchs27 Jul
    • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPKeane27 Jul
        • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
        • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
          • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
            • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
              • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPaul DuBois28 Jul
                • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen28 Jul
                  • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)28 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMarkus Grossrieder27 Jul