MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:July 27 2004 5:17am
Subject:Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client output
View as plain text
Richard Mixon (qwest) wrote:

> I run some mysql command files (just SQL statements in a file I read
> from standard input) and need to place some annotiations/comments in the
> output.
>
> If I place standard SQL comments ("-- comment text") or MySQL comments
> ("# comment text") they do not show up in the mysql client output. Well,
> in a way that makes sense - they are "comments".
>
> I have tried using "select ' comment text' ;" and that works, but I get
> many, many lines instead of my one simple annotation - e.g.:
>
>   --------------
>   select "First comment ..."
>   --------------
>
>   +-------------------+
>   | First comment ... |
>   +-------------------+
>   | First comment ... |
>   +-------------------+
>   1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
> Any/all ideas are appreciated - Richard

   SELECT "First comment ...";

will give exactly the output you show, but

   SELECT "First comment ..." FROM sometable;

will return that string once for each row of the table.  Is that what you're
doing?

Michael

Thread
How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)26 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
  • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputHarald Fuchs27 Jul
    • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPKeane27 Jul
        • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
        • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
          • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)27 Jul
            • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen27 Jul
              • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputPaul DuBois28 Jul
                • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMichael Stassen28 Jul
                  • RE: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputqwest)28 Jul
      • Re: How to show comments/annotations in MySQL client outputMarkus Grossrieder27 Jul