MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:July 27 2004 4:49am
Subject:RE: using mysql in commercial software
View as plain text
At 04:43 PM 7/26/2004, you wrote:

>looks like the answer is no.  As soon as fee based software touches the
>mysql install on the PC, the user is obligated to pay the $250.

Actually I believe the MySQL 4.x license is more stringent than that. If
the MySQL database is distributed within a company for free, then a license
is still required, unless the application is distributed under the GPL. If
you keep the database in one central location at your company (or ISP),
then a license is not required. If you use the database for your own use
and not give the application to anyone, then a license is not required.

If you distribute the application for free, but not under the GPL ( you
don't distribute the source to the application), you still have to purchase
a license. So basically if you distribute your application that depends on
MySQL, you need a license unless your application is distributed as GPL,
whether you charge for your application or not. Whew!<g>  Wouldn't it be
nice if MySQL created a nice little table with a couple of columns
"License" and "No License" and a bunch of examples down the left hand side?

So if you have an application that uses MySQL, and you are going to
distribute it (even for free), then a license is required unless you GPL
your application. If you're looking for a loophole in the MySQL license,
then you'd be better off looking at FireBird or PostgreSQL or something
smaller. There are a few zero footprint databases that work well for a
dozen or two dozen users under Windows without costing a lot and paying
royalties. Some are even client/server.

Mike

Thread
using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand26 Jul
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaregerald_clark26 Jul
    • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareLaercio Xisto Braga Cavalcanti26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSGreen26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
        • RE: using mysql in commercial softwaremos27 Jul
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaremos2 Aug
              • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley3 Aug
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
          • Re[2]: using mysql in commercial softwareDebugasRu3 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareMarc Slemko2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant4 Aug
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant5 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant6 Aug