MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Kasak Date:July 27 2004 4:31am
Subject:Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?
View as plain text
bad corn wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Recently our company has purchased a dual amd64 opteron machine for mysql
>server purpose.
>It seems that there are not many os choices for us.
>
>Here is the list of OS that we are going to test (in listed order):
>- debian   (amd64)
>- fedora2  (amd64)
>- suse     (amd64 or 32bit mode)
>- solaris9 (32bit x86 mode)
>- debian   (32bit mode)
>
>FreeBSD is temporary not on our list because I have done some simple testing
>on FreeBSD/AMD64, and it was a nightmare... unfortunately we didn't have
>time to conduct the thing more thoroughly so we gave it up. We don't want to
>run freebsd in 32bit mode + linuxthreads.
>
>Debian is our first choice, but on the Debian/AMD64 howto, it is stated that
>the port is still in beta stage. Does anyone have experiences with
>debian/amd64 + mysql? I would love to know if mysql will run on it before
>giving it a try..
>
>Here are the questions that I have:
>1) What is the reason that mysql doc suggest people to use SuSE? I believe
>it is the kernel and libc that matters, but it seemed to me that most of the
>mysql/amd64 development and benchmarks are carried out on SuSE, RedHat or
>their derivatives.
>2) Whether the distro has thousands of applications is not relevant to us,
>because we will be running mysqld on the box only.
>3) Perhaps if anyone on this list would suggest me stick to 32bit os at the
>moment?
>
>Personally speaking, I don't like RedHat and SuSE (sorry but I am not here
>to start a distro war :)), so I would like to stay away from them as much as
>possible. Plus I have no experience with them at all.
>
>Besides, I heard from someone that Solaris10 will be quite good for MySQL
>purpose, could anyone comment on this? And if it is really good, does anyone
>know when is it going to be available to the public? Even beta releases are
>ok.
>
>I am new to the AMD64 world, and so I would love to hear from all of you.
>Thanks all :)
>
>Cheers,
>mc.

I use Gentoo ( stable ) for our server here.
It's just an Athlon 2000XP, so I can't comment on 64-bit support for
Gentoo, but I know that there are a *lot* of people using it. Check out
the Gentoo forums.

Reasons why you should choose Gentoo?

Upgradability.

As you probably know, not all software is perfectly supported on x86-64
under Linux at the moment. This includes glibc, gcc, binutils, etc.
There are always patches coming in. If you run Gentoo, you have
*incredibly* painless updates to ALL parts of your system. If you run
anything else and you try to upgrade glibc, for example, you are a
damned fool! So basically you can install Gentoo on your system and keep
it current without re-installing everything.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer

what os to use for mysql on amd64?bad corn27 Jul
  • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Daniel Kasak27 Jul
    • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Duncan Hill27 Jul
      • MYSQL 3.23.52-3 freezingGoutam Baul27 Jul
        • MYSQL 3.23.52-3 freezingGoutam Baul27 Jul
  • [OT] Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Issac Goldstand27 Jul
  • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Egor Egorov27 Jul
    • RE: what os to use for mysql on amd64?mc28 Jul
      • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Egor Egorov29 Jul
        • RE: what os to use for mysql on amd64?mc29 Jul
          • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Egor Egorov2 Aug
        • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?(Pete Harlan)30 Jul
          • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Jeremy Zawodny2 Aug
          • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Egor Egorov2 Aug
  • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Nils Valentin15 Sep
    • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Nils Valentin15 Sep
    • Mysql and PHPnestor(earth)15 Sep
      • Re: Mysql and PHPandy thomas15 Sep
        • Re: Mysql and PHPGreg Donald15 Sep
          • Re: Mysql and PHPandy thomas15 Sep
            • RE: Mysql and PHPChris Blackwell15 Sep
              • RE: Mysql and PHPandy thomas15 Sep
        • RE: Mysql and PHPEve Atley15 Sep
      • Re: Mysql and PHPGreg Donald15 Sep
        • Re: Mysql and PHPCurtis Maurand15 Sep