MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:bad corn Date:July 27 2004 3:39am
Subject:what os to use for mysql on amd64?
View as plain text
Hi all,

Recently our company has purchased a dual amd64 opteron machine for mysql
server purpose.
It seems that there are not many os choices for us.

Here is the list of OS that we are going to test (in listed order):
- debian   (amd64)
- fedora2  (amd64)
- suse     (amd64 or 32bit mode)
- solaris9 (32bit x86 mode)
- debian   (32bit mode)

FreeBSD is temporary not on our list because I have done some simple testing
on FreeBSD/AMD64, and it was a nightmare... unfortunately we didn't have
time to conduct the thing more thoroughly so we gave it up. We don't want to
run freebsd in 32bit mode + linuxthreads.

Debian is our first choice, but on the Debian/AMD64 howto, it is stated that
the port is still in beta stage. Does anyone have experiences with
debian/amd64 + mysql? I would love to know if mysql will run on it before
giving it a try..

Here are the questions that I have:
1) What is the reason that mysql doc suggest people to use SuSE? I believe
it is the kernel and libc that matters, but it seemed to me that most of the
mysql/amd64 development and benchmarks are carried out on SuSE, RedHat or
their derivatives.
2) Whether the distro has thousands of applications is not relevant to us,
because we will be running mysqld on the box only.
3) Perhaps if anyone on this list would suggest me stick to 32bit os at the
moment?

Personally speaking, I don't like RedHat and SuSE (sorry but I am not here
to start a distro war :)), so I would like to stay away from them as much as
possible. Plus I have no experience with them at all.

Besides, I heard from someone that Solaris10 will be quite good for MySQL
purpose, could anyone comment on this? And if it is really good, does anyone
know when is it going to be available to the public? Even beta releases are
ok.

I am new to the AMD64 world, and so I would love to hear from all of you.
Thanks all :)

Cheers,
mc.

Thread
what os to use for mysql on amd64?bad corn27 Jul
  • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Daniel Kasak27 Jul
    • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Duncan Hill27 Jul
      • MYSQL 3.23.52-3 freezingGoutam Baul27 Jul
        • MYSQL 3.23.52-3 freezingGoutam Baul27 Jul
  • [OT] Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Issac Goldstand27 Jul
  • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Egor Egorov27 Jul
    • RE: what os to use for mysql on amd64?mc28 Jul
      • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Egor Egorov29 Jul
        • RE: what os to use for mysql on amd64?mc29 Jul
          • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Egor Egorov2 Aug
        • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?(Pete Harlan)30 Jul
          • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Jeremy Zawodny2 Aug
          • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Egor Egorov2 Aug
  • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Nils Valentin15 Sep
    • Re: what os to use for mysql on amd64?Nils Valentin15 Sep
    • Mysql and PHPnestor(earth)15 Sep
      • Re: Mysql and PHPandy thomas15 Sep
        • Re: Mysql and PHPGreg Donald15 Sep
          • Re: Mysql and PHPandy thomas15 Sep
            • RE: Mysql and PHPChris Blackwell15 Sep
              • RE: Mysql and PHPandy thomas15 Sep
        • RE: Mysql and PHPEve Atley15 Sep
      • Re: Mysql and PHPGreg Donald15 Sep
        • Re: Mysql and PHPCurtis Maurand15 Sep