MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shannon R. Date:July 27 2004 12:39am
Subject:transferring MySQL db from RedHat to Debian
View as plain text
hello list!

i'll be moving from a RedHat server to a Debian server very soon. despite the different
linux distributions, is it ok to transfer my entire mysql database by just copying
everything in /var/lib/mysql of the RedHat system to the Debian system? has anyone tried
this before?

the reason why i don't want to do the database transfer using data generated by mysqldump
is because i want all the auto-generated record_ids to stay the same in the new system.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
shannon