MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:July 26 2004 7:32pm
Subject:RE: using mysql in commercial software
View as plain text
I guess that would depend on what kind of license your database connection
libraries come with.

** DISCLAIMER **  I AM NOT A LAWYER and THIS IS *NOT* LEGAL ADVICE.
**DISCLAIMER **

Whenever I ask myself "can I sell what I just created and keep my source
code hidden",  I rely on several factors:

1) What restrictions are placed on any source code I wrote, used, or
re-used, as well as any image, sound, or other binary resources included
in the creation of "the product"
2) What license do I posesses to use the tools I use to compile, compress,
link, assemble, or otherwize create "the product" in any fashion.
3) What rights do I have to incorporate or redistribute any third-party
libraries that "the product" will require.

To find the answers for your circumstances, you must read and re-read the
licensing agreements that apply to _everything_ you use to create your
product. If you do not feel comfortable with your translation of the
"legal-ese" in your licenses then you need to ask a competent law
professional in your locality.

Basically, software is rarely ever "sold". What is paid for is the license
to use a software product (program, library, source code, etc.) for a
particular purpose. Some licenses allow for the unlimited "personal" use
of some very powerful tools but when you go "commercial" with them (using
them to create products for sale or transfer to another party) you must
verify that your licenses permit you to do so. Each situation will be
different. Every product will be different. You just have to go back and
dig up all that stuff again and go over it.

Respectfully,

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"Laercio Xisto Braga Cavalcanti" <laercio@stripped> wrote
on 07/26/2004 04:06:01 PM:

> Hi all,
>
> If I write a comercial software that allow my customer at instalation
time
> to select between mysql, interbase or other data base is it legal?
>
> Regards,
>
> Laercio.

using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand26 Jul
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAman Raheja26 Jul
RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaregerald_clark26 Jul
    • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareLaercio Xisto Braga Cavalcanti26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSGreen26 Jul
      • RE: using mysql in commercial softwareSteve Richter26 Jul
        • RE: using mysql in commercial softwaremos27 Jul
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley2 Aug
            • Re: using mysql in commercial softwaremos2 Aug
              • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareAlec.Cawley3 Aug
          • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareIssac Goldstand3 Aug
          • Re[2]: using mysql in commercial softwareDebugasRu3 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
      • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareMarc Slemko2 Aug
        • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareJeremy Zawodny2 Aug
Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant4 Aug
  • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant5 Aug
    • Re: using mysql in commercial softwareZak Greant6 Aug