MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:j.rabbit Date:July 23 2004 10:02pm
Subject:Re: how the redhat 9.0 adds the mysql user:
View as plain text

> "j.rabbit" <skynet@stripped> wrote:
>
> > This is how the redhat 9.0 mysql.spec file adds the mysql user:
> >
> > ' useradd -M -o -r -d /var/lib/mysql -s /bin/bash -c "MySQL Server" -u =
> > 27 mysql '
> >
> > Anybody know why the shell is '/bin/bash' instead of '/sbin/nologin' =
> > like other daemon users? Is this simply an oversite?
>
> I can't speak about Red Hat 9, but for MySQL itself there is no need to have
> a valid shell for the 'mysql' user.

Thanks for the response.  I just realized that slackware does this also, so there must be
some reason for it.  This link may offer some clues:
http://www.unixfool.com/mysql-slack.shtml
Thread
how the redhat 9.0 adds the mysql user:j.rabbit19 Jul
  • Re: how the redhat 9.0 adds the mysql user:Egor Egorov20 Jul
  • Re: how the redhat 9.0 adds the mysql user:j.rabbit24 Jul