List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robert J Taylor Date:May 27 2004 9:14pm
Subject:Re: Duplicate does not exist
View as plain text
fr0g wrote:

> Good evening all.
>
> I'm facing a problem with a specific table and the uniques that it has.
> I have a table, hosting data of peoples names.
> Some of it's columns are, name_english, surname_english,
> name_original, surname_original, name_greek, surname_greek.
> I have as unique each combination of columns of the same language
> (i.e. name_english, surname_english, unique, etc).

As I am "Robert James Taylor" I can give anecdotal evidence that full
name does by no means make a good candidate key for a database of any
population larger than...say....George Foreman's immediate family (he
named all his boys the exact same name, if you didn't catch the
reference). More than once I have entered confusing periods of
mis-identification due to database designers relying on name alone to
match people.

In fact, a short tale that is true. I moved from one West  Coast state
to another in 1998 and was denied a drivers license after passing the
tests will flying colors because I had "a DUI conviction" in an East
Coast state. The other Robert James Taylor, who was born the same year
and day I was, fortunately had a different Social Security Number (which
is not a panacea either...but I digress). This may sound far-fetched and
unlikely to happen again but it was real, scary and made me curse
database designers at the DMV.

Please don't do that.

Thanks.

Robert James Taylor
West Coast and Sober
robert@stripped
Thread
Duplicate does not existfr0g27 May
  • Re: Duplicate does not existRobert J Taylor27 May
    • Re: Duplicate does not existfr0g28 May
      • Re: Duplicate does not existScott Haneda28 May
        • Re: Duplicate does not existfr0g28 May
    • Re: Duplicate does not existfr0g28 May
      • Re: Duplicate does not existEgor Egorov28 May
        • Re: Duplicate does not existfr0g28 May