MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mike Miller Date:February 12 2004 6:18pm
Subject:Re: Connect to MySQL via PHP
View as plain text
The _only_ real benefit of Apache2 over Apache1 is it's thread-based model.
So why leave a stable, tried-and-true, robust Apache1 platform for no
additional benefits at all?  Why break compatibility?  Why use the Apache2
branch if you don't need it?

PHP itself works quite fine in a threaded mode.  However, PHP uses an
enormous number of libraries (GD, database libs, and many others) which
may-or-may-not-be thread-safe.  So these libraries can cause some serious
problems... and when you're in a threaded model, programs doing funny things
is not only difficult to track down, but also can cause serious issues with
all of the other threads (due to shared process context on the system and
shared memory).

Lesson- just avoid it for the time being.  Save a headache and additional
security patches.
-M

>From: Adam Goldstein <whitewlf@stripped>
>To: mysql <mysql@stripped>
>CC: Don Read <dread@stripped>,Eric W.Holzapfel <eholz1@stripped>
>Subject: Re: Connect to MySQL via PHP
>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:05:00 -0500
>
>Apache2 and php is a buggy combination? Not that I have seen.
>
>Or are you referring to trying to use the Apache Worker (mutlithreaded) MPM
>with php... I believe that is still a bit buggy, though, no rpms or
>packages seem to install it that way anyways. I'm hoping to get workerMPM
>working for me, too, as I have been having to use thttpd for serving images
>recently.
>
>I'm not sure how horked up RHES3 is, but, std. RH7-9, Mandrake 7.2-9.2,
>Debian 3+ (among others) seem to have no problem what so ever connecting
>php->mysql out of the box, provided you have a user account on mysql to
>connect to and supply it in your my.cnf, php.ini or mysql_connect
>statements.
>
>keep in mind rh and mdk broke up the portions of php into separate
>packages... such as php-imap, php-mysql, php-cli, php-ldap, etc. You will
>need to install the php-mysql package if mysql_connect is not being
>recognized. Also note, mdk has further separated the php.ini file to use
>separate php include files, similar to how they broke up apache's module
>configs...  the structure is /etc/php.ini and
>/etc/php/#_phpmodulename.ini..they load in order of their number... This is
>good to keep in mind, as the mysql settings are no longer included in the
>primary php.ini file but in 34_mysql.ini.
>
>--
>Adam Goldstein
>White Wolf Networks
>http://whitewlf.net
>

>On Feb 10, 2004, at 10:34 PM, Don Read wrote:
>

>>On 11-Feb-2004 Eric W. Holzapfel wrote:
>>>Hello Listers,
>>>
>>>I have a  problem with my PHP/redhat setup, and possible problem with
>>>my
>>>Mysql setup.
>>>I have Apache (2.0) and PHP (4.3.2) installed on a Red Hat 3.0 ES
>>>system.
>>
>>Apache 2.0 + PHP is a known buggy combination.
>>
>>>I have MySql installed on a Slackware linux box.
>>
>>Server on a remote host? Gotcha.
>>
>>>I want to be able to use Apache/PHP to connect to the mysql database
>>>on
>>>the slackware box.
>>>I "think" that PHP is set up ok, which may be  a lie, because PHP
>>>says
>>>it does not recognize the commands like -  mysql_pconnect and
>>>mysql_connect.
>>>

>>No, wait, lemme guess. Like 'function not defined' ?
>>     (eat your heart out, Miss Cleo)
>>
>>>Also if I try to connect to the database using something like this:
>>>  mysql://user,passwrd@slackhost demodb this fails and the "or die
>>>getMessage()" returns
>>>DB: no such database.  (I am trying to use the Pear DB here)
>>>
>>>Do I need to have mysql installed on the red hat machine?

> [...]

Connect to MySQL via PHPEric W. Holzapfel11 Feb
  • RE: Connect to MySQL via PHPLigaya Turmelle11 Feb
    • RE: Connect to MySQL via PHPFranck ZAIRE11 Feb
  • Re: Connect to MySQL via PHPDon Read11 Feb
    • Re: Connect to MySQL via PHPAdam Goldstein12 Feb
    • Re: Connect to MySQL via PHP with success!Eric W. Holzapfel13 Feb
  • Re: Connect to MySQL via PHPCurtis Maurand11 Feb
Re: Connect to MySQL via PHPMike Miller12 Feb
  • RE: Connect to MySQL via PHPDonny Simonton12 Feb