MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mike Tuller Date:February 9 2004 4:53pm
Subject:There has to be a way to do this
View as plain text
I have posted this question a few times, and have not seen the answer that I
need.

I have a shell script, that gathers information from systems, and I want
that info to be entered into a database. I want it to check first to see if
the data is already entered, and if not, add it. If it has already been
entered, then update the record.

I would think that some type of if/else statement would work, but I can't
get the IF statement http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/IF_Statement.html to work
correctly in MySql.

Here is what I have:

"IF SELECT * FROM hardware_assets WHERE ethernet_address='$ethernet_address'
IS NULL\
    THEN INSERT into hardware_assets (ethernet_address) VALUES
($ethernet_address)\
ELSE\
    UPDATE hardware_assets SET operating_system='10.3.3'\
END IF;"

I get back that I have an error in my SQL syntax. $ethernet_address is set,
so that is not my problem.

Does anyone know a way to go about this in SQL, or in a shell script? I
don't want to do it in Perl or PHP.

Thanks,
Mike

Thread
There has to be a way to do thisMike Tuller9 Feb
  • Re: There has to be a way to do thisvpendleton9 Feb
  • Re: There has to be a way to do thisgerald_clark9 Feb
    • Re: There has to be a way to do thisMike Tuller9 Feb
      • Re: There has to be a way to do thisgerald_clark9 Feb
        • Re: There has to be a way to do thisMike Tuller9 Feb
        • Re: There has to be a way to do thisMike Tuller10 Feb
          • Re: There has to be a way to do thisgerald_clark10 Feb
          • Re: There has to be a way to do thisEamon Daly10 Feb
          • Re: There has to be a way to do thisThomas Spahni11 Feb
      • Re: There has to be a way to do thisRyan Yagatich9 Feb
        • Re: There has to be a way to do thisRyan Yagatich10 Feb
  • Re: There has to be a way to do thisAlec.Cawley9 Feb
RE: There has to be a way to do thisEvelyn Schwartz9 Feb