MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 15 2003 4:04pm
Subject:Re: Problem with "CHARACTER SET xxx COLLATE yyy"
View as plain text
At 5:23 PM +0200 9/15/03, Sigfrid Lundberg - LUB NetLab wrote:
>I'm trying to create a table in my database with
>
>	CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE COLLATE utf8_general_ci
>
>Answer is
>
>	 ERROR 1115: Unknown character set: 'utf8_general_ci'

Try it again when 4.1.1 comes out.  There is a bunch of character
set renaming that went on between 4.1.0 and 4.1.1.

Also, COLLATE need be specified only once. :-)  I assume the double
COLLATE above is just a typo?

What you're seeing is one of the things referred to by:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Charset.html

which says:

The features described here are as implemented in MySQL 4.1.1. (MySQL
4.1.0 has some but not all of these features, and some of them are
implemented differently.)