MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Kasak Date:July 24 2003 2:28am
Subject:Re: Bookmarks
View as plain text
Shahid M. Syed wrote:

>>At 8:45 +0500 7/23/03, Shahid M. Syed wrote:
>>

>>>Hello
>>>
>>>Does any version (production or future) of mysql supports Bookmarks?
>>>

>>What is "Bookmark" capability in a database context?
>>

>You can use the Bookmark property to set a bookmark (Bookmark: A property of
>a Recordset object or a form that contains a binary string identifying the
>current record.) that uniquely identifies a particular record in the form's
>underlying table, query, or SQL statement. Read/write Variant.
>
>Example:
>In VB6, I can read a bookmark in a variant like
>varBookmark = rsName.Bookmark
>Where varBookmark is a variant and rsName is a adodb recordset.
>
>Later I can go back to the same record by
>rsName.Bookmark = varBookmark

That's a feature of your recordset object, not of the database server.
Exactly how your recordset object ( DAO, I assume ) interacts with the
database server to achieve this functionality is anyone's guess, but
you'd think it would use a primary key.

As for how to do it better - why not just store the Primary Key
somewhere and use that to return to your record later?
Also, if you're after speed ( and want to stick with VB ) I'd use ADO.
DAO does some stooopid things that result in pretty horrible
performance. Also DAO is being dropped in favour of ADO by M$ soon, so
you might as well bail out now :)

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer