MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andrew Braithwaite Date:July 23 2003 9:33pm
Subject:RE: large mysql/innodb databases
View as plain text
Hi,

I'm afraid that with that amount of data and having a few huge constantly
updated tables will result in huge restore times for disaster recovery (just
untaring/copying backups of the magnitude of terabytes back to the live
environment will take hours and hours..)

You're talking "massive enterprise sized solutions" and "we're on a budget"
in the same sentence (which are not compatible with each other) - I know
because we are the same here!

A couple of things I can suggest:

1. Redesign your applications so that you archive/aggregate information that
will never be used again.

2. Write a function that will backup the "often changed" stuff on a daily
basis and backup the seldom changed stuff on a weekly basis.  (as you're on
a budget use a few inexpensive IDE raid 5 linux boxes - 6 x 250GB = 1.25 TB
for backup)

3. Put in place a replication system that is so resilient that how ever many
machines go down, there will still be plenty of fully replicated servers to
satisfy the demand.  Make sure that you have UPS so that if the power fails
you can get a clean shutdown. And ignore backups completely.

Hope this helps,

Andrew