MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:July 23 2003 8:36pm
Subject:Re: large mysql/innodb databases
View as plain text
At 03:08 PM 7/23/2003, you wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone had any experience with setting up large and
>fairly high performance databases.  We are looking at setting up
>databases with each machine having somewhere between 500 gigs and 2
>terabytes along with a slave box and we'd like to backup everything to
>tape at a minimum of once a week, but if possible, daily.  We're also
>looking at central storage solutions.  However, we're hesitant because
>that will result in a (very expensive) single point of failure.  Of
>course, we could buy 2, but they are fairly expensive.  Has anyone had
>any experience with setups like this?  What kind of backup solutions did
>you use?  We aren't too concerned about the CPU usage as our databases
>tend to be i/o bound.
>--
>Joe Shear <joe@stripped>

Joe,
         You didn't mention what control the backup would have over the
database tables:

a) MySQL Server can be shut down during backup
b) MySQL Server is Up but backup would have exclusive access to the tables
being backed up
c) MySQL Server is Up and other processes have read only access to tables
being backed up
d) MySQL Server is Up and other processes have read/write access to the
tables being backed up

This will help the people on this newsgroup provide you with the correct
answer.

Mike

Thread
large mysql/innodb databasesJoe Shear23 Jul
  • Re: large mysql/innodb databasesmos23 Jul
RE: large mysql/innodb databasesAndrew Braithwaite23 Jul
  • RE: large mysql/innodb databasesJoe Shear23 Jul
RE: large mysql/innodb databasesAndrew Braithwaite23 Jul
  • RE: large mysql/innodb databasesJoe Shear23 Jul
RE: large mysql/innodb databasesAndrew Braithwaite24 Jul
  • RE: large mysql/innodb databasesAdam Nelson24 Jul
  • RE: large mysql/innodb databasesJoe Shear24 Jul
    • RE: large mysql/innodb databasesAdam Nelson26 Jul