List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 23 2003 6:56pm
Subject:RE: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?
View as plain text
At 13:01 -0500 7/23/03, Degan, George E, JR, MGSVC wrote:
>SETUP
>
>Windows 2000, Version 5.0 (build 2195, Service Pack 2) (In case it
>matters, I have about 20 GB available on my 40GB hard drive and 192MB of
>RAM)
>
>SETTINGS
>
>Prior to attempting to put on the second server, I wasn't using any
>options, which was logging me in as ODBC@localhost (or more likely
>%@localhost),

ODBC is the default user name that clients use on Windows.

>  later I invoked mysql as follows:  mysql -h localhost -u
>root to log in as the root.  If you see my treads I was having problems
>with building temporary tables and was advised to set up a root user,
>turned out one was set up with the installation so I began using it.).
>
>When I started attempting to set up the multiple versions, Victoria
>Reznichenko directed me to the user manual and was attempting to set it
>up that way.  I shut down the original mysql server and installed the
>mysql in the "4.1 Alpha" folder group with the option mysqld-nt
>--install mysqld2 which was referenced per the manual in a file called
>"my.cnf" as follows:
>
># options for mysqld2 service
>[mysqld2]
>basedir = C:/mysql-4.0.14
>port = 3308
>enable-named-pipe
>socket = mypipe2

Okay.  You don't have any [mysqld] group for the other server, I take it?

But that configuration is odd. It appears to apply
to a 4.0.14 installation, yet you state that you're
using it for your 4.1 installation.

What installation directories are you now using for your two MySQL versions?

>It installed with no errors.  Then it instructed I startup the servers
>as follows:
>
>NET START mysql
>NET START mysqld2
>
>when I did that I got the response:
>
>"The MySQL service started succesfully."
>
>and
>
>"The mysqld2 service started succesfully."
>
>respectively.

Okay, that looks good.  When you open the Services Manager, I assume
it shows lines for services named "MySQL" and "mysqld2" and that they
both have a status showing them to be running?

>But when I attempt to invoke MySQL the response is: "ERROR 2003:  Can't
>connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)"

Okay.  What was the command you used here?

What happens if you use this command:

mysql -h localhost -P 3308

or this one:

mysql -h . -S mypipe2

>(BTW.  When I came in today I found out that I could no longer connect
>to 4.1.0 either.  When I left last night, I could connect to 4.1.0, but
>could no longer connect to 4.0.13.  According to windows explorer the
>database files are still there, but for some reason mySQL can no longer
>point to them.)
>
>How I'm running the servers:  they are services in Windows.  Though I
>had nothing to do with that.  The setup/install utility handled that for
>4.0.13.  Do I have to give them a unique name for 4.1.0 so Windows can
>distinguish 4.1 from 4.0?

Yes.  The Services Manager will show what the service names are.  You may
want to shut them down, remove them, and then start over.  It may be that
the presence of existing services is what's messing things up.

To stop the services (assuming service names of svc-name-1 and svc-name-2):

net stop svc-name-1
net stop svc-name-2

To remove them:

mysqld --remove svc-name-1
mysqld --remove svc-name-2

Then start from the beginning, using the mysqld --install instructions
in the manual.

>Better detail?  Thanks for not giving up on me!

Yes, much better detail.  Thanks.

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified?  http://www.mysql.com/certification/

Thread
Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?George E, JR, MGSVC Degan22 Jul
  • Re: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?Victoria Reznichenko22 Jul
RE: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?George E, JR, MGSVC Degan22 Jul
  • RE: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?Paul DuBois22 Jul
RE: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?George E, JR, MGSVC Degan23 Jul
  • RE: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?Paul DuBois23 Jul
RE: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?George E, JR, MGSVC Degan23 Jul
  • RE: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?Paul DuBois23 Jul
RE: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?George E, JR, MGSVC Degan23 Jul
  • Re[2]: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?Stefan Hinz23 Jul