MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:gerald_clark Date:July 22 2003 2:30pm
Subject:Re: how to limit COUNT(*)
View as plain text

Mojtaba Faridzad wrote:

>First of all, I don't wanna let the query run to the end and after that,
>count the number of records. as I mentioned, some tables are huge and takes
>a long time to run COUNT(*) query for all records.
>
>About LIMIT, it doesn't effect on COUNT query. but for the second query (
>retreiving a field ) I can use it and as you mentioned, I use LIMIT v1,v2.
>this part of query that I tried to use COUNT is before retreiving the all
>fields of the last page. it's just checking for the number of records, to
>find the number of pages and show the last page.
>
>about why I am not using auto_number or other indexes, because the table and
>conditions are variable and on run-time.

If you are using MYISAM tables, count(*) does not scan the table to get
the count.

Thread
Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
  • Re: Odd thingDon Read19 Jun
RE: Odd thingJay Blanchard19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
  • RE: Odd thingMatthew Smith19 Jun
RE: Odd thingJay Blanchard19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDallas Dickey19 Jun
  • selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueMojtaba Faridzad19 Jun
    • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueBruce Feist19 Jun
    • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valuePaul DuBois19 Jun
    • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueDon Read19 Jun
  • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valuePeterWR19 Jun
  • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueMichael Conlen19 Jun
  • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueMojtaba Faridzad19 Jun
  • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueKen Menzel19 Jun
  • how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)gerald_clark22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Jerry22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
    • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Fred van Engen22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Viorel Dragomir22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Yves Goergen22 Jul
    • RE: how to limit COUNT(*)Mike Brum22 Jul
      • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)gerald_clark22 Jul
    • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Keith C. Ivey22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
    • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Fred van Engen22 Jul
RE: Odd thingDallas Dickey19 Jun
RE: Odd thingJay Blanchard19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
RE: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueMike Hillyer19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
  • Re: Odd thinggerald_clark19 Jun