MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Viorel Dragomir Date:July 22 2003 1:50pm
Subject:Re: how to limit COUNT(*)
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mojtaba Faridzad" <mfaridzad@stripped>
To: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 4:40 PM

> for example:
>
> SELECT COUNT(*) as numfound FROM mytable WHERE mycondition;
>
> in this query, mytable and mycondition are variable and on run time, they
> are changed. I use this query to jump to the last page of a grid form.
> sometimes the query may have more than million records and I want to give
> warning to the user to specify a condition to limit the number of records.
> would like to count the records upto 10000 (for example) and if the
records
> are more than this, stop counting and ask user to change the condition. to
> solve this problem I did something like this:
>
> SELECT one_field FROM mytable WHERE mycondition LIMIT 10001;
>
> if the number of records of this query is equal to 10001, then I show the
> warning message. but this query is not as fast of COUNT query. is there
any
> way to limit the first query?

I dunno if I understood your problem. But if you want to *limit the count()*
try to put a condition after fetching the result.
if( count_result > MAX_NO) then count_result = MAX_NO;

If you want to paginate your result try use LIMIT v1, v2 [look in manual for
more information about SELECT & LIMIT]

If you just want to view the last info rows try to order desc over an
auto_increment field.

good luck

> thanks

Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
  • Re: Odd thingDon Read19 Jun
RE: Odd thingJay Blanchard19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
  • RE: Odd thingMatthew Smith19 Jun
RE: Odd thingJay Blanchard19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDallas Dickey19 Jun
  • selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueMojtaba Faridzad19 Jun
    • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueBruce Feist19 Jun
    • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valuePaul DuBois19 Jun
    • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueDon Read19 Jun
  • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valuePeterWR19 Jun
  • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueMichael Conlen19 Jun
  • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueMojtaba Faridzad19 Jun
  • Re: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueKen Menzel19 Jun
  • how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)gerald_clark22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Jerry22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
    • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Fred van Engen22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Viorel Dragomir22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Yves Goergen22 Jul
    • RE: how to limit COUNT(*)Mike Brum22 Jul
      • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)gerald_clark22 Jul
    • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Keith C. Ivey22 Jul
  • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Mojtaba Faridzad22 Jul
    • Re: how to limit COUNT(*)Fred van Engen22 Jul
RE: Odd thingDallas Dickey19 Jun
RE: Odd thingJay Blanchard19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
RE: selecting PRIMARY KEY when there is no unique valueMike Hillyer19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
RE: Odd thingDave Christensen19 Jun
  • Re: Odd thinggerald_clark19 Jun