MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mojtaba Faridzad Date:July 22 2003 1:40pm
Subject:Re: how to limit COUNT(*)
View as plain text
for example:

SELECT COUNT(*) as numfound FROM mytable WHERE mycondition;

in this query, mytable and mycondition are variable and on run time, they
are changed. I use this query to jump to the last page of a grid form.
sometimes the query may have more than million records and I want to give a
warning to the user to specify a condition to limit the number of records. I
would like to count the records upto 10000 (for example) and if the records
are more than this, stop counting and ask user to change the condition. to
solve this problem I did something like this:

SELECT one_field FROM mytable WHERE mycondition LIMIT 10001;

if the number of records of this query is equal to 10001, then I show the
warning message. but this query is not as fast of COUNT query. is there any
way to limit the first query?

thanks