MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tor R. Skoglund (NextG) Date:March 16 2003 6:21pm
Subject:Foreign Key and default action/RESTRICT behaviour?
View as plain text
Hi List, regarding the foreign key definitions:

[CONSTRAINT symbol] FOREIGN KEY (index_col_name, ...)
                  REFERENCES table_name (index_col_name, ...)
                  [ON DELETE {CASCADE | SET NULL | NO ACTION
                              | RESTRICT}]
                  [ON UPDATE {CASCADE | SET NULL | NO ACTION
                              | RESTRICT}]

Is there a default action for ON DELETE and ON UPDATE if no action
is specified in the database definition?

I presume RESTRICT makes it impossible to delete a record from
the parent table if there are any references from a child record to
the parent for that key?

The MySQL documentation on the web does not seem to say
anything about this...

Best regards,
Tor Rune Skoglund
trskog@stripped

sql query

Thread
Foreign Key and default action/RESTRICT behaviour?NextG)16 Mar
  • Re: Foreign Key and default action/RESTRICT behaviour?Paul DuBois16 Mar
    • Re: Foreign Key and default action/RESTRICT behaviour?Paul DuBois17 Mar
Re: Foreign Key and default action/RESTRICT behaviour?Heikki Tuuri16 Mar
  • Re: Foreign Key and default action/RESTRICT behaviour?Paul DuBois17 Mar
    • Re: Foreign Key and default action/RESTRICT behaviour?Andreas17 Mar
      • Re: Foreign Key and default action/RESTRICT behaviour?Paul DuBois17 Mar
Re: Foreign Key and default action/RESTRICT behaviour?Heikki Tuuri17 Mar