MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael T. Babcock Date:January 15 2003 1:35pm
Subject:Re: when to normalize out to a table
View as plain text
David T-G wrote:

>Well, I do, though I'm not surprised that I shouldn't.  I still don't
>know anything about left, right, inner, and outer joins; they sound like
>belly buttons to me :-)

The best thing to do is find a website with some sample data and sample
queries and see how they actually work yourself.  The 'direction' of a
join simply refers to the tables in the query itself, assuming its
written left to right; so a LEFT join joins the table to the RIGHT of it
to the one to the LEFT of it, using data from the LEFT one and then
finding the matching data (from the ON) in the RIGHT one. Reverse RIGHT,
LEFT above for RIGHT JOIN.  The others will make more sense when you get
that.

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.

Thread
when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
  • RE: when to normalize out to a tableCal Evans15 Jan
    • Re: when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
      • RE: when to normalize out to a tableCal Evans15 Jan
        • Re: when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
          • RE: when to normalize out to a tableCal Evans15 Jan
            • Re: when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
          • Re: when to normalize out to a tableMichael T. Babcock23 Feb
    • Re: when to normalize out to a tableMichael T. Babcock15 Jan