MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Matthias Urlichs Date:September 15 1999 11:06am
Subject:Re: Is it Normal ?
View as plain text
Hi,

Ben-Nes Michael:
> Nope the primary key is something else
> But i don't want to do select on this too often so will it be wise to add lots
> of indexes ?

That depends on how dynamic the table is and how often you'd want to do
such a query.

> If i add more indexes to the table wont it make it slower and heavier

Indices slow things down, but not so much that you'd notice, IF you have
enough RAM to keep the common stuff in memory.

Case in point, we have a two-million-records accounting database here,
indexed by a zillion and one field in various combinations. I haven't
really noticed any slowdown since the times it was at ten thousand records
with two indices. On the contrary, we're hashing the seven fields
which would make up the primary index into a new key (with duplicates
allowed, of course) and have noticed a 30% speedup for inserts and updates.
(We only update non-indexed fields.)

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@stripped  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/
    • Re: Is it Normal ?Ben-Nes Michael15 Sep
  • Re: Is it Normal ?Ben-Nes Michael15 Sep
    • Re: Is it Normal ?Matthias Urlichs15 Sep
      • Re: Is it Normal ?Paul DuBois15 Sep
        • Re: Is it Normal ?Matthias Urlichs15 Sep
          • Re: Is it Normal ?Michael Widenius17 Sep
  • Re: Is it Normal ?Bob Kline15 Sep
  • Is it Normal ?Michael Widenius17 Sep
Re: Is it Normal ?Richard Ellerbrock15 Sep