MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael T. Babcock Date:January 15 2003 1:32pm
Subject:Re: when to normalize out to a table
View as plain text
Cal Evans wrote:

>Always start with a *fully* normalized design. You can always denormalize for speed
> but it's real hard to normalize once you are in production.

I'd rather be 'stupid' about how normalized my data is and then write
caching into my program (or use MySQL 4's query cache, which I don't
have yet) than have to extract data properly after the fact for
normalization.

Reading any old website about normalization will say basically the same
thing (and if they don't, they shouldn't be writing about normalization).

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.

Thread
when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
  • RE: when to normalize out to a tableCal Evans15 Jan
    • Re: when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
      • RE: when to normalize out to a tableCal Evans15 Jan
        • Re: when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
          • RE: when to normalize out to a tableCal Evans15 Jan
            • Re: when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
          • Re: when to normalize out to a tableMichael T. Babcock23 Feb
    • Re: when to normalize out to a tableMichael T. Babcock15 Jan