MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David T-G Date:January 15 2003 1:53am
Subject:Re: when to normalize out to a table
View as plain text

Cal, et al --

...and then Cal Evans said...
%
% IMHO, etc.

*grin*

%
% Always start with a *fully* (ok, by fully I mean 3rd normal form...mainly
% because I still don't fully understand 4th and don't even pretend to

Yeah; I'm in the same boat :-)

% understand 5th) normalized design. You can always denormalize for speed but
% it's real hard to normalize once you are in production.

Well, good point.

%
% Vocal range deserves a 'domainTable' of it's own.

Really?  Well, OK; I can, as you say, start more normal and then change
(does that mean I morph, mutate, or mogrify? :-)

%
% vocalRangeType
% ---
% vocalRangeTypeID
% ===
% description
% ===
%
% product then has vocalRangeTypeID as a FK.

Right.  That means another lookup, but it would certainly work.

%
% Nothing wrong with a table that is just a bunch of FKs to other tables.

Oh, I agree :-)

%
% YMMV, HTH,
% =C=

Thanks & HAND

mysql query,
:-D
- --
(play) davidtg@stripped * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) davidtgwork@stripped  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"

Thread
when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
  • RE: when to normalize out to a tableCal Evans15 Jan
    • Re: when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
      • RE: when to normalize out to a tableCal Evans15 Jan
        • Re: when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
          • RE: when to normalize out to a tableCal Evans15 Jan
            • Re: when to normalize out to a tableDavid T-G15 Jan
          • Re: when to normalize out to a tableMichael T. Babcock23 Feb
    • Re: when to normalize out to a tableMichael T. Babcock15 Jan