MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Cal Evans Date:January 15 2003 1:44am
Subject:RE: when to normalize out to a table
View as plain text
IMHO, etc.

Always start with a *fully* (ok, by fully I mean 3rd normal form...mainly
because I still don't fully understand 4th and don't even pretend to
understand 5th) normalized design. You can always denormalize for speed but
it's real hard to normalize once you are in production.

Vocal range deserves a 'domainTable' of it's own.

vocalRangeType
---
vocalRangeTypeID
===
description
===

product then has vocalRangeTypeID as a FK.

Nothing wrong with a table that is just a bunch of FKs to other tables.

YMMV, HTH,
=C=

*
* Cal Evans