MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rodney Broom Date:November 26 2002 7:46pm
Subject:Re: hello to new guy
View as plain text
Hi Norm,

It sounds to me like we have some lack of clerity. Let me see if I can place some useful
definitions:

- CSV
  A text format for representing data.

- CSV file
  A file written in the CSV format.

- Database
  A place to store data.

- Program
  Software that does something.

- Database engine
  A program that manages the data in a database

- Database program
  A program that interfaces with a database engine.

- Search engine
  A database program that looks through some known data set to
  find information based on the user's request.

- Import
  The action of loading data into a database. This is often accomplished
  by a database program taking data from something like a CSV file and
  reformatting that data to be suitable for the database engine being
  used.

It sounds to me like you may still need to get these:

- Database
- Database engine
- Database program
- Search engine

Am I any closer?

---
Rodney Broom
President, R.Broom Consulting
http://www.rbroom.com/

sql

Thread
hel to new guyNorm Lamoureux25 Nov
  • Re: hel to new guyRodney Broom25 Nov
  • Re: hel to new guyRodney Broom25 Nov
  • Re: hello to new guyNorm Lamoureux26 Nov
  • Re: hello to new guyRodney Broom26 Nov
    • Re: hello to new guyJohn Ragan26 Nov
  • Re: hello to new guyNorm Lamoureux26 Nov
Re: hello to new guyNorm Lamoureux26 Nov
Re: hello to new guyRodney Broom26 Nov
Re: hello to new guyNorm Lamoureux26 Nov
  • Re: hello to new guyJohn Ragan26 Nov
Re: hello to new guyRodney Broom26 Nov
Re: hello to new guyAmer Neely27 Nov
  • Re: hello to new guyRodney Broom27 Nov
  • Re: hello to new guyNorm Lamoureux27 Nov
  • Re: hello to new guyRodney Broom27 Nov