List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Listen Hinz Date:November 26 2002 6:55pm
Subject:Re: Is it possible to export data from access to MySQL?
View as plain text
Dear Steve,

> Is it possible to export data from MS Access into MySQL?

If you don't care to export every single table manually, this is what
you do:

1. Install MyODBC 3.51.04
2. Configure a system DSN for your MySQL server.
3. In Access, right-click the table to be exported.
4. Choose Export...
5. Choose Data Type "ODBC".
6. Choose a name for the table (default: the Access name).
7. On Computer Data Source, choose the DSN you set up in step 2.

The table will be created in the database you set up in step 2. The
export will create the table definition (.frm) and import the data.

Make sure _all_ your Access tables have primary keys, this makes things
easier.

You may run into trouble if your Access tables have strange column names
(e.g., with spaces, umlauts etc.).

Recently, I tried this procedure on a 500 MB Access table with 1.2
million records, and it took 4 minutes on a 2 GHz single processor
Pentium machine running Win2K with Service Pack 2.

  Stefan Hinz <hinz@stripped>
  Geschäftsführer / CEO iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>
  Heesestr. 6, 12169 Berlin (Germany)
  Tel: +49 30 7970948-0  Fax: +49 30 7970948-3