List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jules Bean Date:September 1 1999 2:17pm
Subject:Re: Index files surprisingly large
View as plain text
Michael Widenius wrote:

> Jules> Bother...
> Jules> Something broken on the machine I'm running mysqlbug on, and mails don't
> Jules> go through to the list (or, apparently, Monty).
>
> <cut>
>
> >> # isamchk -dvv my_table
> >> ISAM file:     my_table
> >> Isam-version:  2
> >> Creation time: 1999-08-26 15:40:16
> >> Recover time:  1999-08-26 17:33:13
> >> Data records:           9655579  Deleted blocks:              0
> >> Datafile  Parts:        9655579  Deleted data:                0
> >> Datafile pointer (bytes):     4  Keyfile pointer (bytes):     3
> >> Recordlength:               180
> >> Record format: Packed
> >> table description:
> >> Key Start Len Index   Type                       Root  Blocksize    Rec/key
> >> 1   1     4   unique  long                   78710784       1024          1
> >> 2   5     160 multip. text                  2056176640       1024
> 16940
> >> 3   165   16  multip. text packed stripped  2140120064       1024
> 1
>
> >> Field Start Length Type
> >> 1     1     4      no zeros
> >> 2     5     160    no endspace
> >> 3     165   16     no endspace
>
> hi!
>
> Compare key 2 & 3
>
> The difference is that key 2 is 'packed and stripped' while key 2
> isn't.  This means that every key will take 160 bytes!
>
> The reason is that the old ISAM code can't compress keys > 127 bytes.
>
> This is fixed in MyISAM.
>
> Fix:
>
> Change the key to 127 character or upgrade to MySQL 3.23

Monty, you're a star!  Many thanks for patiently solving this problem
with me.

What's the current stability thoughts about 3.23?  I have been resisting
the upgrade since this is an important production system...

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@stripped         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@stripped        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |
Re: Index files surprisingly largeJules Bean1 Sep
  • Re: Index files surprisingly largeMichael Widenius1 Sep
Re: Index files surprisingly largeJules Bean1 Sep
  • Re: Index files surprisingly largeMichael Widenius2 Sep