List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rick Moore Date:August 31 1999 3:22pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Speed ?? slower the Oracle ?
View as plain text
Actually, $200,000 / year in support doesn't scare a large company, either,
if it is a mission critical application.  Typical down times are $1,000,000
/ hour for these apps.

Oracle was my second choice to MySQL, and if you aren't using all of the
enterprise features / support the prices scales down to 3-4 hundred bucks.
Reasonable even for small companies.

Oracle is a leader because they have a rock-solid full-featured engine which
has proven itself over many years. They have a huge support and consulting
infrastructure that can manage 24x7 activities, etc.  Enterprise users drool
over the clustering and fault tolerant capabilities.  Third part support is
huge.  Lastly, even though Oracle is a dog compared to MySQL, when you
compare Oracle to MS SQL, Sybase, etc. it is relatively fast!

On the other hand, everything except the Oracle engine is junk; I can't
believe they release such crap and get away with it.  (Actually, I do know.
Corporations buy tools like DBArtisen instead of using the stock vendor
software.)  MySQL certainly wins in the price and performance arenas, but
it's growing popularity is also a direct result of its simplicity.  Have you
noticed how many novices post to this list?

The MySQL folks are heading towards an interesting milestone.  Soon they
will have the minimum acceptable SQL functionality (transactions, unions,
large table support, etc.) required to be competitive (ie interchangeable)
with some of the major databases.  They will need to make some strategic
decisions about which market(s) they want to play in, etc...  (My advice:
watch Linux closely and learn from their successes / mistakes; they are one
step ahead.  BTW: Why isn't MySQL on the standard Red Hat distribution? )

Rick