List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mertens Bram Date:August 28 2002 8:29pm
Subject:Re: load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1
View as plain text
On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 22:19, Keith C. Ivey wrote:
> As it says in the documentation, "If the LOCAL keyword is specified,
> the file is read from the client host. If LOCAL is not specified, the
> file must be located on the server."  That means that with LOCAL the
> MySQL *client* must be able to access the file, but without LOCAL
> it's the MySQL *server* that needs access.  The MySQL server probably
> doesn't (or at least shouldn't) have access to your home directory.

Thx, I read that part but it didn't make much sense to me, but I think
I'm starting to see the light...

As I read somewhere else in the documentation the mysql-daemon is run as
user nobody who has very little rights.  So this user would indeed have
no rights for the specified file.  I thought the root user was running
the mysql-daemon and that therefor both the server and client (which are
both running on my desktop computer) would have access to the file.
However according to ps -aux (I'm running mysql on a RH Linux box) the
only processes I see are owned by a user called mysql.

Perhaps RH changed the username, they change quite a bit in certain
packages so this wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, it's working now, it's even making sense to me, so thanks a lot!

Regards
--
 #  Mertens Bram "M8ram" <bram-mertens@stripped>   Linux User #249103  #
 #  Red Hat Linux 7.3  KDE 3.0.0-10  kernel 2.4.18-3  i686  128MB RAM  #

Thread
load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1variableMertens Bram28 Aug
  • Re: load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1Egor Egorov28 Aug
    • Re: load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1Mertens Bram28 Aug
      • Re: Re: load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1Egor Egorov29 Aug
  • Re: load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1Gerald Clark28 Aug
    • Re: load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1Mertens Bram28 Aug
      • Re: load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1Keith C. Ivey29 Aug
        • Re: load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1Mertens Bram29 Aug
    • Re: load data into table from file or how to set the local-infile=1Gerald Clark29 Aug