MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jani Tolonen Date:August 31 1999 9:53am
Subject:Protocol, aka Courtesy
View as plain text
cshepard writes:

 > Monty, developers, gurus, et. al.,
 >
 > I've been lurking on this list for several months, and
 > it's beyond my comprehension how all of you put up with
 > the idiotic posts to this list.  People don't read the
 > *excellent* documentation you've prepared.  They don't
 > know how to operate their own operating systems.  They
 > ask the very same questions that you answered the day
 > before.
 >
 > You guys are too damn nice, and I'm here to complain
 > about it! :)  I'm tired of firing up my mail client
 > every morning and finding 200 messages, of which only
 > five or six deserve to be on the list.
 >
 > I spoze you have some PR considerations that I'm not
 > aware of, but I really think you oughta just point
 > the clueless to the clues (i.e., the doc) and let'em
 > go finger it out.  90% of the stuff you answer is
 > clearly and obviously stated in the documentation.
 >
 > How many times are you expected to answer the same
 > question?  How many times do I have to read the
 > same old things?
 >
 > Everybody's a newbie to everything at first, and the
 > net is all about sharing information, and "those in
 > the know" impart their wisdom to the "know nots".
 > That's kewl.  That's the way it's supposed to work,
 > we've all been on both ends of the give and take,
 > but I don't see where you guys should have to waste
 > your time explaining trivia that is not at all directly
 > germain to the rather advanced topic of MySQL per se.
 >
 > There are newsgroups for "What is SQL?" and "What is PERL",
 > and "What is Windoze?" and "How do I turn my computer on?".
 >
 > I hate to suggest it, but I really think you need to
 > take the stance of "moderated list" and shitcan all
 > the crap that people can EASILY find in your doc or
 > any primer on SQL.
 >
 > You gotta be tired of answering it.  Hell, I'm tired of reading it!
 >
 > I lurked a good two months and learned all sorts of nifto stuff
 > before I ever posted a question.  Doesn't anybody know
 > what homework is anymore?
 >
 > My two cents.  Shoot me.
 >
 > -
 > Chris Shepard - Unix Developer
 > Rocky Mountain Internet, Inc.
 > http://www.infohiway.com/
 > My opinions are mine, not those of my employer.

:=)

Maybe we should make a program that automaticly replies to any mail
having the word 'newbie' in the subject line, or in text with
reply: "This is automaticly generated message: RTFM."

May shoot me too...

Jani

| TcX  ____  __     _____   _____  ___                        |
|     /*/\*\/\*\   /*/ \*\ /*/ \*\ |*|       Jani Tolonen     |
|    /*/ /*/ /*/   \*\_   |*|   |*||*|       jani@stripped   |
|             /*/             \*\            Developers Team  |
Protocol, aka Courtesycshepard31 Aug
  • Protocol, aka CourtesyJani Tolonen31 Aug
  • Re: Protocol, aka CourtesyGreg Donald31 Aug
  • Protocol, aka Courtesysinisa31 Aug
  • Re: Protocol, aka CourtesyBlain Nelson1 Sep
RE: Protocol, aka CourtesyAlok Dhir1 Sep