MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jani Tolonen Date:August 31 1999 8:37am
Subject:MySQL Server crashes on a DELETE command.
View as plain text
Patrick Ethier writes:
 > Hi Everybody,
 >
 >  I tried to use the mysqlbug thingy but it refused to work properly.
 > Here is the problem in a nutshell:
 >
 >  1- My Database has a table that contains a WORD/FILEID table. I am
 > building a search engine for my sites.(I know there are some available
 > out there, but I need it for something VERY specific).
 >
 > 2- I'm using perl with DBI/DBD. My perl script is very simple(I've
 > isolated this portion of code into a script and it still crashes)
 >   my $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn,$user,$password);
 >   my $SQL = "DELETE from WORDS where WORD = ?";
 >   my $sth = $dbh->prepare($SQL);
 >
 >  I fetch a list of words to omit....
 >
 >  foreach $bad(@words)
 >     $sth->execute($bad) || die "Error deleting word $bad with message
 > $dbh->errstr";
 >  }
 >  $sth->finish;
 >  $dbh->disconnect;
 >
 > 3- I have 165,000 words in my table
 >     I figured it might be a DBI thing so I executed the queries from the
 > mysql app. It worked, but the computer crashed 10 seconds after exiting
 > the mysql app.
 >
 > 4- This used to work when I had 40,000 records.
 >
 > 5- I single step through the process by adding an input statement right
 > before the execute command and it still crashes.
 >
 >  That's basically it. By crashing, I mean that the Telnet session drops
 > and that the server suddenly goes into the debugger. I'm using OpenBSD
 > 2.5 on and Intel PIII 450 with 128Mb's of RAM. My disk space is MORE
 > than sufficient(28 gigs) and I have a 500M swap file installed.
 >
 >  We've tried a zillion things and are baffled. It seems that the TOP
 > command sees the safe_mysqld take more and more CPU resource and tops
 > off at 114% and then crashes. While single stepping, this fluctuated so
 > we figure this is probably not the problem.
 >

 >  We'd appreciate any help "anyone" can offer on this.....

Hello Patrick,

First, please see any notes for your platform from the manual.

Can you include following information:

- MySQL version number
- The distribution name, if source, how it was configured
- Info from the log files
- Any exact error messages from MySQL server

Any possibility you could send us an example so that
we would be able to try to reproduce the situation?
If yes, ftp one to www.mysql.com:/pub/mysql/Incoming
and inform us about it.

You can find detailed information how to make a good example from:

http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_Questions.html#Questions

Regards,

- Jani

Ps. Perhaps increasing max_allowed packet will help, if the problem
    became after you got more data, but it is very rough guess.

|             /*/             \*\            Developers Team  |
MySQL Server crashes on a DELETE command.Patrick Ethier27 Aug
  • MySQL Server crashes on a DELETE command.Jani Tolonen31 Aug