MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Gruber Date:August 19 2002 9:18pm
Subject:RE: mysql comes with linux ?
View as plain text
Assuming intel and putting the CD in /dev/cdrom as root...

On Redhat 7.3... (Install whatever way you want first)

Put in CD#3 (label is Red_Hat_Linux_i3)

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
rpm -Uvh mysql*
chkconfig mysqld on
/etc/init.d/mysqld start

MySQL 3.23.49 should now be running. This is from memory.. so forgive an
typos.

The data directory and such are defined in /etc/my.cnf. By default RH makes
the data directory /var/lib/mysql. The socket reference will be in that
directory also.  You can easily change the data to a volume you can
backup/grow.  I would suggest leaving the socket reference as it seems to be
"static" in the rpm build.  You can always check me on that by install the
source RPM (which will put the distr in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES) and
recompiling.

John Gruber
RHCE