MySQL Lists are EOL. Please join:

List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:August 16 2002 9:11pm
Subject:Re: Persisten Connections
View as plain text
At 08:40 AM 8/14/2002, you wrote:
>I am running a website which generates around 100,000 pageviews a day and I
>am wondering if I stop using persistent conections to the MySQL database and
>use
>normal open and close conections this would reduce the load onto my server?
>
>Most conections are either made through my "main" file or the phorum message
>board system.
>
>Thanks in advance
>John Wards

John,
         There are other ways to speed up your PHP application besides
(not) using persistent connections. Take a look at
http://php.weblogs.com/tuning_apache_unix for some ideas. :)

Mike

I would certainly like to see a benchmark that shows "when" persistent
connections work for MySQL.  If it were graphed properly, perhaps with
session_timeout vs memory/cpu and is plotting pages/second, we could figure
out if persistent connections would benefit our particular application with
the hardware we're using.  I think there are too many variables to say "yes
it works", or "no it doesn't" in all cases. By graphing it,  we'd get a
better understanding of how database performance is affected by persistent
connections vs hardware (# CPU's & memory).

Thread
Persisten ConnectionsJohn Wards14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsThomas Seifert14 Aug
    • Re: Persisten ConnectionsTod Harter14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsJocelyn Fournier14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten Connectionspeter.brawley14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsJocelyn Fournier14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsStreetWarz & SpeedWarz14 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsJocelyn Fournier15 Aug
  • Re: Persisten ConnectionsGelu Gogancea15 Aug
  • Re: Persisten Connectionsmos16 Aug
  • Re: Persisten Connectionsmos17 Aug
Re: Persisten ConnectionsPaul DuBois14 Aug
Re: Persisten ConnectionsThomas Seifert14 Aug
RE: Persisten ConnectionsSteve Orr16 Aug
RE: Persisten ConnectionsSteve Orr16 Aug